Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Hi. I am trying to decide whether or not to make an appointment

Hi. I am trying to decide whether or not to make an appointment to see a mental health professional. It's a very hard step for me. My family physician has tried several antideppressants with no luck. I don't really think that I am depressed, but I'm not sure. My main problems are lack of concentration, I feel like my life is out of control (even noises, like the dog barking or the kids being kids, send my stress level thru the roof#, I am always behind and can never finish anything #which leads to more and more stress). I also tend to overeat as a way to deal with stress. I always feel like I'm being judged or that I'm not good enough.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that you are continuing to have problems with irritability and stress. Given the history and symptoms you are reporting, I would have to say that I think it would be a very good idea to see a mental health professional. I know that's a hard step to take, but it sounds like it would be very helpful for you to have someone to talk with about what is going on for you, and to come up with some ways to deal with things more effectively. It can also help to work on your self-esteem, as feelings of inadequacy can come out in many ways that are self-sabotaging (over-eating, not finishing things, etc.) You have already tried antidepressants, which can certainly help sometimes, but it's also important to explore what is going on that is contributing to feeling out of control. So yes, I think it would be a good idea to make an appointment with a psychologist or psychotherapist.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara