MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

How would you go about finding a quality psychiatrist for your

Customer Question

How would you go about finding a quality psychiatrist for your loved one? My wife and I have experienced both extremes in care. One psychiatrist said that we should go to the ER if there are severe problems between appointments and a second psychiatrist makes lots of big changes very quickly so that we can't determine which changes were beneficial and which were detrimental. My question for you is, what would you do if it were your loved one? How would you find the absolute best psychiatrist that is flexible, knowledgeable, compassionate, methodical and an outside the box thinker?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Wendy M replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. There is an old saying. Ask 5 doctors about one question and you will get 5 different answers.

It sounds like you have 2 psychiatrists working with you right now. Finding one doctor that you can work with and feel comfortable with can be difficult. There are 2 things that I am wanted to talk about.

If you have 2 doctors at 2 extremes, I would see if both doctors could consult with one another, to come together and help in a harmonious direction, without having different opinions. This would be my first choice. The consultation could help as they may have different opinions or different thoughts about what is going on, and what they may think may be helpful. Having 2 doctors speak together, can come up with a directed answer.

The other idea, was to be able to speak to your doctors about what you want. If you feel that one doctor is moving to quick and making to many changes at one time, then you need to speak with him about this, to see if he can change one thing at a time, or at least speak to him about why he would want to make such dramatic changes all at once. There may be a reason for it, such as 2 medications together may have adverse effects, so he cannot titrate the medications slowly.

But, if at all possible. I would see if you could sign a release, to have both doctors consult with one another, so that you have a clear direction.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My wife does not have 2 psychiatrists now. She started with one psychiatrist. We found he was not responsive enough between appointments, so we switched to another psychiatrist. This new psychiatrist, is very responsive, which is nice, but he is often combatitive when questioned about which medications he is recommending and why. He also makes many changes very rapidly. How can I find a leader in the field that is well-respected by his/her peers and known for great results?
Expert:  Wendy M replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry, I misunderstood the question. I am going to opt out of this question and have other experts respond to you, so that you can get more accurate information, about the question that you have. But, I do wish you the best in your search.

Take care,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
How can I find a psychiatrist that is a leader in the field that is well-respected by his/her peers and known for great results? Looking in Columbus, OH.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI - I never accepted this answer and I was still billed for it. TERRIBLE!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The original expert misunderstood my question. My wife does not have 2 psychiatrists now, she has one, but we are not satisfied by the care he is providing. The expert chose not to attempt to answer the clarified question. So, I didn't get an acceptable answer (yet I was still billed for the service). I am not happy about it.

My original question still stands. How does one go about finding psychiatrist or psychopharmacologist "rankings" for various disorders? I am looking for someone specializing in Bipolar II in the Columbus, OH area who has a proven track record in effectively treating patients. I am looking for someone who is a leader in research in the disorder who is well-respected by his/her peers. Without any way to differentiate between the various psychiatrists, I might as well play "eeny meeny miney moe". PLEASE HELP!
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
If you were already billed for this, don't "Accept" my answer, even if it is helpful. I want you to get your money's worth.

As someone in the field, here are a few tips might help you:

1) The reality is that Bipolar II disorder is not that hard to treat, if the treating physician LISTENS and has EMPATHY. If those two things are present, then a psychiatry RESIDENT (physician in training to become a psychiatrist) can do a SUPERB job of treating Bipolar II disorder. It certainly does NOT takes a nationally-known psychiatrist to do a fine job of treating it. If that is, in fact, the correct diagnosis, it just isn't that hard to treat well. On the other hand, if the psychiatrist displays little of either/both of these things, unless you are unusually lucky, your experiences with psychiatrists will likely be repeated.

2) To find such a psychiatrist, without doing the eeny-meeny-miny-moe thing, you need an hour or so, a telephone, and a phone book. All you have to do is call several psychiatrists' offices and simply say you are trying to find a psychiatrist who really CARES about his/her patients, and ask the office manager or receptionist (or whoever answers the telephone) if the psychiatrist(s) there CARES about their patients. If the person you're talking to says, "yes", then ask them if they would personally refer someone they know to that psychiatrist. If you get another "yes," you have a candidate. If they waffle or pause, you can always ask them if they know of someone else who they WOULD refer someone to see. It is ABSOLUTELY that simple; much more about this, than about seeking an "expert." A psychiatrist - ANY psychiatrist - IS an expert. The world is full of brilliant physicians who never get to use their brilliance because they don't listen or identify with patients well enough to be able to know the situation well enough to use all that brilliance. To this end, a researcher who is an "Expert" on a particular disorder can be an AWFUL one to actually treat it. That is not universally true, but it frequently is.

3) I think that like-minded psychiatrists flock together, so if there is one good one in a clinic, there may well be more. This does not necessarily hold true for large clinics or departments with dozens of them, but for clinics with 2-6 of them, it seems to be true.

I hope this helps, and that you find a GREAT psychiatrist.