Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

is it normal for me to want to be alone sometimes, im in a

is it normal for me to want to be alone sometimes, im in a committed relationship, happy, we live together, but its still new, i lived on my own for four years, got used to alone time, and quite like to have those moments of solice, of quiet, alone, no pressure, no convo. how can i do this without making my (sensitive) partner concerned, worried, jealous..etc....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I am actually the same way as you. Good relationship but I cherish and need alone time. So I think you lay it out to your partner just like you did here. Let him know that you have been independent for quite some time and that you need alone time to relax and unwind. If he can't understand this then shame on him. Let him know that it is nothing against him and that it is something you have always done. Maybe you can join a gym or do some activity which will give you the alone opportunity as well. And I hope that you will have your alone time in moderation and not want it all the time because then that would cause concern. But taking time out for yourself is nothing to be concerned about and in fact it is healthy. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and what would you consider moderation, some days i could spend all day and night alone!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
No no no. All day and night is too much.If that is the case then you might not want to be in a relationship or it might give you an indication that he is not right for you. I would say more of an hour or two a week of alone time would be fine. And like I said before, if you get involved in some activity then that would give you reason to be alone as well.