Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

I have been using different hypnosic recordings for about 6

Customer Question

I have been using different hypnosic recordings for about 6 months now to increase my confidence socially. I listen to hypnotic recordings most evenings and go into a deep hypnotic trance each time. However, I am still yet to see any results. When in the hypnotic state should I just relax and let the recoreded words wash over me without paying attention to them or try and visulise feelings of confidence as i am in this this state?

If you could help me out I would be extremely greatful! Any advise atall to make this work for me! Thankyou very much, Luke OGorman
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Laweditor replied 6 years ago.

This may be the first step to getting to where you want to be but you need to do more. Make a plan for yourself to use what you have learned and once you put it into action, then you will start seeing results.

Every Sunday, make a weekly plan of things that you will do that you usually don't do in certain situations. This could be something very simple such as saying hello to someone on the street to complimenting someone at the grocery store. Slowly, build up your social interaction day by day and you will see that in time, once you start getting a positive reaction back, you will increase in your confidence.

Start with the plan and if you do have a social outing, definitely make sure to put more steps into the plan for your goals for that night.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.

this is what I would like to know, thankyou very much luke OGorman
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.

Good morning, Luke.

I appreciate your question, and I'm glad that you have pursued an approach that might help you with social confidence.

Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that the scientificially-based research into hypnotic therapy suggests that this approach has mixed results, at best. That is, some people respond to hypnotic techniques, some do not. The results also suggest that the degree of response to hypnotic techniques is really no better than taking a placebo (or being placed on a waiting list).

This is not to suggest that your efforts have been for naught. Some individuals report that hypnotic approaches are successful for them (particularly in the field of smoking cessation). Hypnosis may help you with the useful skill of learning to relax - which will be useful when you approach social anxiety from another perspective.

When it comes to anxiety type issues (and that's what social confidence is really about), the most reliable and effective treatment is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) provided by a licensed mental health professional (psychologist, social worker, psychotherapist) with specific training in CBT. Some psychiatrists (medical doctors) might also recommend the use of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) to deal with anxiety in general and, more specifically, social anxiety.

So, I *could* recommend falling into a state of relaxation during your hypnosis or visualizing the feelings of confidence - but I think you will have the same results either way. That is, if you think it will work, then it very well might. If you don't think it will work, it probably won't. I believe a better (and more effective) use of your time would be to explore some brief, focused, targeting CBT with a licensed mental health professional. (Please be certain that this is a CBT trained individual. Traditional "talk therapy" has been demonstrated to exacerbate (rather than cure) some forms of discrete anxiety.

I hope this is helpful.

* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please write back if you have concerns and may post negative feedback. I would prefer that we work together to solve your problem - and will spend the time to do so with you! Thanks!

Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure