Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

I have been diagnosed with sever depression and anxiety disorder.

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with sever depression and anxiety disorder. I have been married 3 times and have experienced some form of abuse, from childhood and throughout each marriage. I have started counseling, once again, and am to see a new psychiatrist today. There is a consent to recieve psychotropic drugs, and I am not able to find out what kind of drugs they are. What can you tell me about them and why might these be ordered for my diagnosis?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 4 years ago.

Good morning.

Research has consistently demonstrated that treatment plus medication is more effective than medication alone or treatment alone for depression and/or anxiety. Further research has shown that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of psychological treatment/intervention - particularly in dealing with mood and/or disorders.

A licensed psychologist/psychotherapist with specific training in CBT modalities would be able to address your concerns. I would encourage you to find a licensed mental health professional with whom to work, employing CBT.

With regard to medical treatment, many/most physicians appear to begin with a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) to treat anxiety. Because I am not an MD, it is beyond my purview to address medication concerns, however.

Again, the mantra of years of research says: medication or treatment alone is not as effective as both working in tandem. Some research has also indicated that insight-oriented talk therapy is counter-productive with some forms of mood and/or anxiety disturbance... it actually exacerbates the condition(s). So, seek out a CBT therapist who will provide targeted, efficient, and effective therapy - not someone who signs you as a "lifer." If you're going to a therapist for years, something about the therapy isn't working.

Your psychiatrist *may* know of a CBT licensed mental health professional. Please make certain, however, that they employ CBT practices.

If $$ is a super-big issue, you might want to consider contacting your local Community Mental Health Center. These tend to offer free or greatly reduced cost mental health services, including therapy and/or med management, depending upon your ability to pay.

Thanks. I hope you're well and that this was helpful.

* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please contact me prior to leaving negative feedback so that we can resolve the matter. I am eager to work with all JA clients to provide them with useful/helpful answers. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I my question wasn't answered. I know about counseling, psychiatrists and medications working towards a successful end. I also know about cognitive therapy, although my experience would possibly leave a genius feeling like a blithering idiot, and I am rather intelligent! My question was about whay psychotropic drugs are. I couldn't find out if it meant anything "worse" than the Cymbalta, Paxil.. that I have been on. Psych. drugs are a scary thing to have to be on, esp. when you're the patient. It is worse when you have to try to convince your spouse that I'm not a "mental case", as so frequently depicted on TV.

Thanks. I regret that I wasn't able to provide a suitable answer.

I will opt out (No pay, please), and request that one of our psychiatrists provide specific answers to your medication question(s). I hope and trust that s/he will be helpful to you.

Best of luck!

Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Psychotropic medications are simply the class of medications that includes all of the medication prescribed for mental health diagnosis. Therefore, all that you have been on are considered psychotropic medications.

How was your appointment with the psychiatrist?
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience: 35 years experience counseling children and families
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The first psychiatrist immediately diagnosed me as ADD because he saw me with my crossed leg swinging back and forth. He told me that depression is usually related to the ADD. I have a niece with it so I am familiar with it. My twin and I looked at the assessment and figured we are part that. As an RN since 1979 and have had depression since 1981(well, I started counseling then), no one had to tell me that I was depressed. All the abuse, it isn't suprising.

Anyway, I tried to tell this Psychiatrist such and I seemed to have been ignored. When he walked out of the office, to copy something, I asked him was he discounting the the years of abuse, from practically infancy to now, in contributing toward the depression. He said no, not in the least. When I left, I had the impression that ADD was being written, on my chart, as my primary diagnosis, if not secondary.

To say the least, I walked out of the office, shaking my head and feeling the need to call my counselor for the next Psychiatrist, on that she knows. I followed thru with the second opinion and he looked like he was going to lean the same way, so, I got the results of the PsychMed assess. results that summarized that I DO suffer from primary severe depression and secondary anxiety disorder. Right now, Dr #2 is adjusting my meds and I am praying that the side effects will abate and I will be good as new.

Thankfully, my husband was not critical when the side effects of the Abilify kicked up badly. He was impressed with the way that I called the pharmasist, with the time frame of dosages and increases of as well as when the side effects occured and what they are. He was really impressed with my professionalism with the Dr., as if I was a nurse and not the patient. I tell him and my family, once a nurse always a nurse.

I long to get back to my nursing career. The patients are my passion.

Thank you for asking. It is very kind of you.

I can safely

I am a nurse too and know what you mean. When I went to graduate school I wondered, will I still be a nurse? and you are right, once a nurse.... Anyway, I hope you can get back too. BTW, I have seen Abilify really help people to return to normal function.

Good luck and thanks for the bonus.