Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Hi, I suffer from severe anxiety the point of

Hi, I suffer from severe anxiety the point of not being able to leave my house at times. In the past, ativan (1-2mg 4-6x/day I think) has been the only medication that has worked without making me sedated, but I cannot even get to a psychiatrist. I am so depserate for help...any ideas/help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You may be able to get a prescription from the psychiatrist who was prescribing for you if you call the office and explain your situation. Usually a support person will go and pick it up , bring the meds to you and take you for your office visit. You will have to see a physician to obtain Ativan. Don't be fooled by people selling this medicine isn't real.

Getting connected to a support group online will help you get your courage up to make the dash out of the house. If you can't see the psychiatrist for some reason, perhaps your GP can work that out with you and your support person. You have to fight agoraphobia or it will bury you under your house and rob you of life.

As you prepare for you doctor's visit, use self help CBT techniques to control your thoughts/moods/behavior. Knowing exactly what is going on inside your body will help you control the process.

This is a tough battle to face, but you can face it and win. Keep pushing till you find your freedom again.

My best to you,