Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

i love my wife dearly at 47yrs old and have a strong sex drive.

i love my wife dearly at 47yrs old and have a strong sex drive. my wife at 57yrs has gone not only off sex,but everything including touching. she says she loves me,but only if i say or ask her. everything else in our marriage is fine,but i now find it hard to sleep with her as it makes me frustrated and down. she won't talk about it and if i talk to a friend she goes mad that i'm talking about our private life,so i'm left frustrated.

Good Morning,

Low libido can be caused by different things both in men and women (ex: depression, hormonal changes, stagnation in the marriage, low self esteem, etc)

If you believe that it is due to hormonal reasons, some women supplement with Maca, Tribulus and Macuna pruriens (they increase the testosterone level)

You could also try to bring some spontaneity (take her to a nice dinner, give her a massage, prepare a bubble bath tub for her, compliment her during the day, get her flowers, write her love notes and stick to her coffee mug in the morning, etc) It may be a case of boredom on her part. It can also be emotional (depression leads to decrease of libido as well as some medications)

When she gives you the excuses of not wanting to cuddle, be touched, ask her what she would like instead. Don't back up until she tells you. You may say something like "you used to like this..."

First try to see if she herself knows what may be causing her behavior.