Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

My brother (54 y/o) is Schizoprenic. He has been on medication

My brother (54 y/o) is Schizoprenic. He has been on medication for 10 years. The last 12 mths he has decreased his dossage. It has created paranoia, but not total loss of reality. Recently he has decided to separate from his wife of 25 years (mainly because of mistrust). I had an interventon with him and convinced him that he should increase his medication levels which he has one done. Whilst his behaviour (8 days at new dossage)seems more calm there remains mistrust of his wife and seems convinced that she is the source of all evil. How can we make him realise that his mistrust is ill-founded/ irrational? The wife doesnt want to walk away from marraige but is lost as to what to do. Will pyscotherapy help?

Great question, although I am sorry to hear your brother has been struggling so much. But to answer your question directly, psychotherapy can absolutely help. Here is why: Your brother may (probably will, actually) weave the therapist into his paranoid delusion initially... that is a natural outcropping of his disorder. But, the therapist can eventually enter the delusion and work on your brother's perceptions from within his frame of reference... in other words, the therapist can validate and support parts of the delusionary fabric, thereby gaining the confidence of your brother. From that position, s/he will best be able to maneuver the delusions until they are less toxic.

I will also say that the medication should (if it has not been already) checked out by the prescribing physician. The dosage may have been upped, but may still need to be tweaked to maximize its effectiveness. As time goes by and the new dosage has time to work, the delusions may also lessen in intensity. Best of luck to you- If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve