Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have $25,000 in credit card debt my spouse does not know

I have $25,000 in credit card debt my spouse does not know about. I need to tell him. The question is how? I can't sleep, this consumes my days at work and home. I am a Christian woman, go to church, have a wonderful family and need help. I cut up all the credit cards months ago but can't seem to get them paid down due to interest. He wonders why I can't help more with the bills and groceries. I keep making excuses. Thanks Marilynn
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

I think you are being unrealistic if you think that you will be able to hide an issue as large as this. Just the issue of a bankruptcy is on public record. Candidly I am sorry to say that your choices are bad and worse.. When you give him the news you will be upsetting him. If he finds out on the sly he will be even more upset. You may feel more secure in a counseling setting. But it is my firm believe that you will;l have to tell him and it is better if you tell him rather than he finds out. This is opinion not fact. but I have seen it play out several times. Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC