Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

My daughter is on anti depressant medication but still is acting

My daughter is on anti depressant medication but still is acting out. She was told she may have borderline personality disorder. I just found out she has opened several credit cards in my name without my permission and has run up the balance and ruined my credit. I am retired and am very scared about what I should do about this situation, is there anything I can do with out hurting my daughter or my two grandchildren. I know something is terribly wrong, her house is unbelievably messy and dirty not the normal mess with children. I am desperate to help her but she says they cant afford therabpy. My daughter is 36 years old but she has stolen from me before via writing checks and using my credit cards with out permission, since 16 years old,how can I help her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

You cannot commit a crime and then try to have it excused. In doing so you are reinforcing the behavior which prompts her to repeat it. People with BPD don't feel they have a problem, but the other person does. I would suggest that she see a DBT-Dialectical Behavioral Therapist which has proved to be the most effective treatment to an extremely difficult disorder to treat. Sp use whatever leverage you have to get her to see a DBT therapist. Good luck and best wishes.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.