Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

About a month ago; I took it upon myself to stop an emotional

About a month ago; I took it upon myself to stop an emotional affair I was having with a coworker before it turned into something sexual. Also, I was feeling too guilty and I want my marriage to heal because I value my husband and I want him to trust me again. However, so long as I have not spoken to the man I was having the emotional affair with, I have been battling sadness. I also cry sometimes and feel like there is a part of me missing. I have not felt the same and I want to stress that I try very hard not to think about this other man or entertain any thoughts about what transpired between us. However, my efforts seem not to have any effect on how sad I feel losing him. My question is, will this "grieving" ever go way or am I stuck not ever feeling normal again? Please help me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Grieving is a process that one has to successfully complete to feel whole and lose the sad empty feeling. One goes through grief from the loss of a loved one to the ending of a relation. A great deal of sadness is as a result of incomplete mourning or grieving (the words are interchangeable.. Many hospital run bereavement groups for the death of a loved one. The end of a relation is like a death and they may allow you to attend such a group at no or minimal course. Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.