Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Hi doctors, My question is; My 20 year old son is diagnosed

Hi doctors, My question is; My 20 year old son is diagnosed with schziophrenia,aspergers and maybe TBI, he takes 30mg zeprexa per day,which makes him a bit out of it. How to I get a dianoses that is accurate? His many evaluations could be one of any of these dianoses. Is there a medical test to find out which mental illness he has? The onset of my sons proplems startd at age 15,which he was then put in a psch. hospital.He did receive a head injury around that time,and he got in trouble in middle school at that age. He does hear voices when not on medication and has dilusions. before the age of 15 I thought he was fine,but know i can see he probably had aspergers.

I think the emphasis is being placed in the wrong area. Diagnosis come and go. The real issue are his symptoms well managed. If they are his diagnosis is irrelevant. If they are not his medication needs adjustment so he can live the most fulfilling life possible and that is where i would place my emphasis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX his medication needs adjusting any suggestions on medications? His medication solves the problem of schziophrenia,but he does not leave the house,or his bedroom, he has alot of anxiety and/or fear.

The problems you describe are called negative symptoms and are part of his schizophrenia. So his medicine is helping with the positive problems like delusions and hallucinations, but not the negative ones. Although the hardest they need addressing as well.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to keep asking questions,but how do you address the negative symptoms? any different medication or therapy?

Please feel free to ask questions that is what we are here for. The best answer is a combination of the right medication and psychotherapy, but negative symptoms are the most difficult to correct.