Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have been taking citaolpram 20mg one a day for over six years

I have been taking citaolpram 20mg one a day for over six years having supposedly been suffering with post natal depression following the birth of my second child.

In the early stages of illness I received a diagnosis of mild bi-polar (psychiatrist) and pre menstral dysphoric disorder from the gynaecologist (following a six month trial of chemical menopause). Having taken mood stabilisers and various SSRIs I have been able to maintain a good level of stability on a small dose of citalopram 20mg per day.

My question is this, my partner and I are thinking about trying for a baby..with my mental health history would this be adviseable and what would be the pros and cons, would I need to stop the citalopram? In addition to this I am 41years old, although fir and active.

Many thanks

Nicola

No one can really answer the risk question. But clearly stated celexa is associated with birth defects. Knowing that it is up to you to determine if with the good chance of a relapse of depression without meds (it is thought that the birth defect issue is some what dose related), and the use of celexa being inadvisable whether trying for a child is advisable. Good luck whatever your decision is.

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ralph

Are there any SSRI's that can be taken safely during pregnancy? As for citalopram, you mentioned that potential defects are dose related. Is 10mg per day not a very low dose? What are the risks / possible defects?

Latest research indicates that all SSRI's marginally, but noticeably increase birth defects especially when taken in 1st trim rester. The defect was mostly cardiac. 10mg is 1/4 of the usual dose so it quite low. This is a discussion you should have with with your ob/gyn and psychiatrist. For a little more depth see; http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/42/14/1.2.full

Customer/p>