Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

What causes a brief mental breakdown

What causes a brief mental breakdown?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

There is no official term as brief mental break down. Perhaps you are referring to brief psychotic reaction. In Any event the precipitating event can range from drug use; extreme stress, extreme anxiety, and /or overwhelming depression. The hall mark is that usually lasts for a few weeks or less and tends to be self correcting in between 2 and four weeks. It usually requires removal from the stressful environment , which in most cases means hospitalization. In most situations medication is employed. So to recap it can refer to any mental disorder that is limited in scope and time and resolves in a relatively short period. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 5/24/2010 at 12:41 AM EST