Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder I

I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder I have suffered for 5 years now, but my symptom are those of bi polar and the medication is for bipolar. sodium volprate 500mg x 4 tablets a day my moods are worse and the ups worse than ever never mind the down times of the month. Am I bi polar ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

It is unfortunate that to give an accurate diagnostic impression, a thorough mental status exam is required looking not just for mood swings as they are not the only sign of Bipolar disorder, such as long period sleeplessness, periods without eating, racing thoughts, grandiosity, sometimes, psychosis. There are other meds that are used with the gold standard being lithium. Anti seizure meds such as tegretol, neurotin, and lamictal are also used. Psychological testing is sometimes employed. There are other meds used when psychosis or violence is involved. There are tests on the web, but they are not very reliable. Seroquel is an anti psychotic drug that was pushed by the drug companies for sleep, but they were fined for this off label use by the FDA. You should discuss all the above with your prescribing doctor. Best wishes and good luck.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.