Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Over 10 years ago I worked with a colleague who was a real

Over 10 years ago I worked with a colleague who was a real bully towards me. What angers me is that I did not stand up to this guy enough. In the end I totally lost it with him and really made a threat to expose his behavior and it scared him enough that the bullying stopped. It is strange therefor that I still, almost on a daily basis, relive the negative experiences and end up getting really worked up about it. It is as if part of me would like to go back to that situation and deal with him early on and really shake him up. I know that this is all negative - how do I stop myself from reliving this this argument and confrontation day after day?

As your behavior points out this individual only truly has power over you when you give it to him. Why wait till he pushes your buttons until you stand up to him. The best approach would not be to empower him, but to really have it out and lay out the ground rules, violation of which will cause you to cause you to ignore him totally. Does this person have the power to preclude you to ignore him as this is what it will probably come to as he will not apparently change his behavior meaning the only one who can change the behavioral interchange is you and this will free you up. Best wishes and good luck.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask! If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you in the future, just put "Ralph" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.