Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

i have a problem with thinking the worst about my girlfriend

i have a problem with thinking the worst about my girlfriend even though i know nothing is going to happen. i get so worried that i start feeling the effects of stress in my chest and i say things to her that i shouldn't say because i'm insecure about myself. I just wish i could just not care and be a typical man's man but i think about it too much. i have no idea on what to do, i have an appointment made for a psychiatrist next month but i want to start handling this right away. i really love this girl but the biggest obstacle to this relationship is myself and the way i think. is there anything i can do to block my thought process until i'm able to meet with my doctor?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

Research has shown that the stronger you attempt to block these thoughts the stronger they return. Remember they are thoughts not facts. Try to keep things light until you can see the psychiatrist. I suspect you suffer fro a significant degree of insecurity. So take it slow. Don't predict because if you do they will tend to be negative predictions. Use you thinking as well as your feeling. This will serve you well. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much but i have one more question. Use you thinking as well as your feeling. This will serve you well. what do you mean by this? and how?

It means that there are two parts to our psyche, the feeling part which are purely emotional reactions. The other part is the thinking or rational part. We have to subject our emotions to thought, An example: I hate someone and they put me in a rage to the extent (this is an extreme) that I am willing to kill the person. It is our thinking that tells us we are over reacting, that the consequences are confinement for life. Is it worth it?

Is that clearer.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs