Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Hi, I have panic disorder and get very intrusive, disturbing

I have panic disorder and get very intrusive, disturbing thoughts....they stay in my mind and I struggle to focus off them. Can this be more the beginning of another condition? I just always feel like I am losing my mind, going crazy. It can get quite uosetting and scary. The thoughts have happenned on and off since I have had my anxiety over the last 2 years.
Example of these thoughts are - "I am going to get you", "You have slept with your Father"......not nice at all.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Panic attacks are very intrusive and disturbing, but in general they are not dangerous. They may lead to agoraphobia or other anxiety disorders. You mention that you have taken SSRI's. I would suggest that you discuss the pro's and con's of benzodiazapines with your prescribing doctor. SNRI's are also an effective treatment. Lastly although you have been in therapy have you been in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT?

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks for your answer. I think I have had a little CBT but perhaps not enough and it being clearly explained to me.

My Doc did suggest trying Xanax as I have to travel O/S in a week and am already "What if" everything. I want to go and enjoy myself and just wish my brain would get some relief.

These disturbing thoughts are common in this disorder? They are not anything like psycotic/schizophrenic? It just seems like it is not me and that I feel like I am going crazy.

Thanks again

First you are clearly not psychotic and the disturbing thoughts are quite common as to be part of the disorder. That is why I suggested considering using CBT and benzodiazapine medication. Even if only for a short time, or occasionally when the situation demands relief.

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok this is the best solution to my problem.

I suppose long-term treatment can take time to heal this disorder.

If you agree with the answer please accept it so I can get paid. If you don't and wish to ask a continuation question you may do so. You will only be charged when you press the accept button.