Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have been seeing the same psychiatrist for 4 to 5 yrs and

Customer Question

I have been seeing the same psychiatrist for 4 to 5 yrs and it seems that about every 6 months I have a severe bout of depression and anxeity. I am not working as I am still trying to find some medication that will help me. I want to be helped but I never get anything from my dr but new medication. Most of it either puts me to sleep or when I take it at night it gives me such a terrible hangover in the morning and headache that I feel more depressed because I dont feel well. I have mental illness on both sides of my family mainly depression. I have been diagnosed with severe clinical depression and anxiety. I want to be able to go back to work and have called to get another opinion but since psychiatrist are scarce in this area it is very are to get into see anyone right away. Please advise. Thanks Melissa
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

,Hello,

Many medications have a sedative effect that lasts up to a few months before they wear off. In addition, many doctors do not consider the size of the individual being medicated when the dosages are determined. A 6'5" man requires a different amount f medication than a 100lb woman. One should ask the doctor if they are considering this when prescribing. All the medicines that you have mentioned have a sedating effect: Cymbalta a SRNI, ambien a sleep med. paxcil a sedating SSRI, Trazadone a very sedating tricyclic that is only given at night because of its sedating effect; Klonopin, valium, and xanax are all sedating benzodiazapines. Ambien is a sleep med that is known for its hang over effect. Do yu have problems sleepin? I would question, my doctor about this and request a non sedating SSRI. I wold also consider Conitive behavioral Psychotherapy that has no side effects.

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Best wishes and good luck. Consider non sedating medication and CBT which is effective on anxiety and depression. Melissa, I have to get off now to see a patient Aain best wishes.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since I am in Amarillo Texas can you provide a website that will give me more info about getting in touch with someone that can provide CBT here in the US? I am very interested in the spiritual aspect as well as the religous aspect of my illness and what I can do with prayer. I have been doing a lot of writing in journals about my day what I felt what I did what I got accomplished so that I can give myself some credit for doing anything besides laying in bed. I pray a lot I was raised a Catholic and do not go to the Church like I should. My husband is not Catholic but does not refuse to go to the Church. I would say that we have gotten out of the habit of getting up on Sundays so we miss Church. I thank you so much for your answer. You have given me many ideas that will help at my next Dr. visit.

Sincerely,

Melissa M

This web site will help you find a referral to a certified CBT therapist in the USA.

http://www.nacbt.org/

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC