Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

Does conversion disorder come on slowly and symptoms worsen

Does conversion disorder come on slowly and symptoms worsen after a year of having these symptoms which include fatigue, blurry vision, muscle weakness in left arm and leg with spasms, dizziness, unsteady gait and hemifacial spasms. I did get an answer but I would also like to know if this disorder would present as severe as a stroke /TIA after a year of already worsening. The diagnosis was given as so far the tests have not shown anything abnormal. My concern is that with symptoms worsening that it is being misdiagnosed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.

I'm not sure if this answer is going to hit the exact point you were looking for, but Conversion Disorder can run an extremely wide gamut - but is typically contained to a single part of the body (arm, leg, eyes, etc). As for the severity of the manifestation, consider this: One of the most fascinating examples of a conversion disorder is called hysterical pregnancy, whereby a woman will go through ALL of the symptoms of pregnancy - including a growing belly and lactating breasts. So yes, the symptoms can mimic a TIA, although remember that the T stands for "transient," meaning that the issue would resolve relatively quickly.

Oh, and I forgot to address the first part of your question - Conversion Disorder rarely comes on slowly, It is a pretty immediate reaction to some traumatic stressor, although a hysterical pregnancy does require 9 months to fully come into fruition. I think this answers all of the questions you have presented. If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve