Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show
25768173

I used to have a hard thing (steel rod) accidentally hit my

I used to have a hard thing (steel rod) accidentally hit my head but I did not go to see doctor and I only applied some chinese herbal oil for the bruise. After that my family business collapsed and my mom got accident and hospitalised for a month. I was in and out hospital for a month to see her. And also I had work stress. I had insomnia and thereafter I had delusion and I withdrawn myself from work and hide at home. My father brought me to see doctor and they diagnosed me as Schizophrenia. I feel regretful that I did not go to see doctor for my head injury. I also did not consult any psychologist for my stresses in life during that difficult period of time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.

Greetings:

You know, one path you did not take was to see a neurologist regarding the closed-head injury. I wonder if some of your symptoms were not the result of schizophrenia per se, but rather were the result of damage done to your brain tissue? I would advise that if there is any question regarding your current diagnosis, you undergo a neurological examination to assess the level of damage caused by the steel rod. You may be able to reduce or even eliminate the medication (if you are taking medication) in favor of a more appropriate treatment.

A psychologist is not a bad idea, but let's also get those injuries assessed.

If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But the steel rod case had occured more than a decade, and I have Schizophrenia for 10 years already. I am now at minimum dosage of Risperidone. Do you think I still need to go for neurological examination ?
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hello again:

That depends. If the Risperidone has been working to curb the symptoms of your schizophrenia, then you have the disorder - regardless of its origin. If the medication has not been working properly and you are confused as to what your diagnosis may be, then I would advise a neuro exam.

Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience: 19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show