Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

I have had obsessive thoughts between 2006 and 2008. It has

I have had obsessive thoughts between 2006 and 2008. It has pretty much cleared up, but has left me feeling very mixed up. I have started wondering if I am a bit gay, as I phoned up a gay chat line during this period when I was on Seroxat. I have had a gay experience 16 years ago, but have had girlfiends since then. I also seem to dwell on stupid things I have done in the past, eg going with prostitutes when drunk.

Hmmm... Seroxat is another name for the American "Paxil," which is pretty much a straight-forward SSRI. And while it should have worked well to clear up your OCD (I'm glad it did, BTW), it should not have had anything to do with leading you into doing something you would not ordinarily do (sorry!). Now on the other hand, there have been studies that Paroxetine (the generic of Seroxat) has led people toward suicidal thoughts, so it can alter the cognitive process somewhat... but only if the ideation already existed and was lurking in the background. Listen, I've got to be honest, in my experience I have never heard of an SSRI pushing a person to do something which they absolutely would not have done otherwise.

If there were other drugs or alcohol involved in the call to the chat line, then they would have had a FAR more likely chance of lowering your inhibitions or lead you down an unlikely path. If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve