Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

My 30 year old daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder

Customer Question

My 30 year old daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago (until then we thought it was OCD). I think she has stopped taking her meds but won't tell me if she did or not. She argues/challenges everything I say and told her brother that we can't communicate anymore. I have tried to be level headed when she acts up.
My question is, given her age, do I let her treat me the way she is or should I call to her attention that her behavior is inappropriate and to please stop? Nothing I do seems to work.
I'm not sure of the best way to handle this situation. People who are around when she mistreats me are uncomfortable (they have told me). I don't have any friends or family who are going through this, so I have no one to turn to.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this with your daughter. I would suggest that no matter what her age or illness she does not have the right to speak to you disrespectfully. I would suggest reading this book to help you with setting healthy boundaries around the way she is treating you. Additionally, if she is acting this way because she has stopped taking her medication, there is very little you can do. It is nearly impossible to convince a bipolar person to go back on their medications. Usually, it takes people getting so fed up with her behavior that they start setting boundaries with her and eventually she will see she needs to change if she wants to have love and friendship in her life.

One other resource you may want to consider is online support groups for families of a person with support bipolar. You can find one here.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Kym- You have helped me more than you can know. I appreciate what you said because my guilt would never allow me to move forward to where we need to be. I accept what you said and will cherish it as an inspiration to me always.
Thank you so much for letting me know this has helped you. I wish you strength and courage to move forward and to take care of yourself the best way possible.

All my best,