Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show
25768173

My sister has been diagnosed with dementia and I currently

My sister has been diagnosed with dementia and I currently have her in an alzheimer/dementia secure unit in a nursing home (long distance). Other family members that talk to her on the phone say she sounds okay, I tell them to ask her what she has been doing and very carefully listen to the response. The responses I hear are not that of a normal person. I want another evaluation of her mental capacity and ability to ever live on her own again. I think a neurologist should evaluate her an provide documentation to convince other family members of her true mental capacity. Am I on the right track in my request? [email protected]
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 6 years ago.

Greetings:

An excellent question... and I am sorry to hear of the difficulties your sister has been going through. It isn't easy for her or the family members who are/were close to her.

In answer to your question, a neurologist would be a good place to begin, but a neuropsychologist may be able to give you a better set of answers for your family. The M.D can certainly track the level of damage, determine which specific areas of the brain have been/are being compromised, and lay out a chart of deterioration one may expect with a family member suffering with the diagnosis s/he will assign to your sister; but a neuropsychologist can give the battery of tests that will assess her current level of functioning - both intellectually, and also in other aspects of cognition (i.e., visual/spatial, interpersonal, emotional, common sense, etc.). This may also have some impact with the rest of the family.

In any event, you are on the right track and I wish you well. If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answers. Thank you-

Dr. Steve