Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I am diagnosed bipolar but I dont think it is the problem.

History: -don't have clear memory of my childhood, started having sex at age 13 and have had sex with over 200 men. Dont want relationships with any. Eating disorder beginning at age 16 and continues to present. I am 41. Started out anorexic then bulemic. Also chronic exerciser. Have a college degree but have always just bartended or waited tables. Always promoted to management but to much pressure. I have very low self-confidence. Father committed suicide in 1993. I have 2 brothers who have also attempted suicide. I have a total of 3 brothers. I was Allstate Band and National Honor society in high school. No close friends. that still holds true. I have been caught shoplifting twice. I become cold and numb and hear and see things as if I were in a tunnel when I feel scared or very stressed. Felt that way when caught stealing and also anytime I speak with a therapist and have to tell them about it. Alcoholic.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using Justanswer.com. I am sorry to hear you are going through all of this. Thank you for sharing your history, that will help me answer any questions you might have.

Do you have a specific question pertaining to your situation that I can help you with?

Thanks,
Kym
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What, in your opinion is my problem?

Thank you for this question. We are unable to make a diagnosis in this setting because we do not have the complete history but I would think it is a combination of Bipolar Disorder, Alcoholism (don't know if you are drinking or not) and probably a lot of past childhood trauma that is yet to be uncovered. Your father committed suicide and two brothers attempted which leads me to believe there is a genetic component to your bipolar disorder and probably a history of growing up in a family system with poor boundaries and lacking in healthy life coping skills which leads you to feel insecure and unsure of yourself despite people in your life thinking you are capable of much more than you are accomplishing. The shoplifting is probably a result of the bipolar disorder kicking up or the compulsive behavioral issues that come along with alcoholism. I believe the "cold and numb" feeling might be from whatever the childhood trauma was you experienced and can't remember. I'm thinking it might even be panic attacks and perhaps part of a post traumatic stress disorder issue from the childhood trauma. I believe the eating disorder issues are ways to control your life situation and also part of the compulsive nature that comes with addiction and bipolar disorder.

These ideas are all speculation with the limited amount of information we are able to obtain in this format. Hearing this analysis may make recovery seem difficult. I hope to encourage you that all of these issues can be worked on and healed. Some people that have a complicated history like this will consider a residential treatment program in order to address all of these issues at once in a safe supervised setting.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

All the best,
Kym
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker