Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

please help with a medication problem I am having with my son

please help with a medication problem I am having with my son who is suffering from anxiety and depression. He is currently being treated by a psychologist but is reluctant to take medication because he has read that anxiety medication like celexa, paxil and prozac can cause insomnia which he is already having a problem with. He saw a doctor yesterday who said that he would recommend celexa but would also give him something for sleep until the initial insomnia wears off. Question, does the insomnia associated with celexa only initially? What is your recommendation on a medication. Remeron was recommended for sleep but he was warned about he weight gain and sluggishness. I am so concerned for him and would like him comforted that he will sleep ok..again.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that your son is having these problems with anxiety. However, what the Dr. is telling you is generally true. Most people experience some side-effects initially (like sleeplessness, etc), but after their bodies adjust to the medication, those side-effects typically go away. This is typical with all antidepressants, like Celexa. So it is very common for him to have the sleep problems, and it is fine to take sleeping medication for awhile until he adjusts to the medication. He should adjust after a few weeks and not have the sleeping issues after that.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara