cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

I am bi-polar 2 and am taking lamictal 300, wellbutrin 400,

Customer Question

I am bi-polar 2 and am taking lamictal 300, wellbutrin 400, effexor 225, and temazepam to sleep. For 90%, my life has totally changed and I am a much better person. I can keep a job without getting overwhelmed or missing work because of anxiety, I am back in school, just life in general is so much easier. One thing I am concerned about is if I am not at work, I just don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything. I clean the house regularly, but would just as well hang out at home or sleep. I am terrible about communication with people. My family lives 1200 miles away. I call my mom and dad, and talk to my niece, but as for the rest, I just don't want to be bothered. I avoid people I know when I'm out, I pretend I don't see them or am busy looking at something. I don't understand this behavior, and with everything else going so great, I would love to fix this too.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like the 90% that was medical is doing fine. Unfortunately, you may have learned some behaviors that are not very useful. Counseling is the way to address these.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

Hi imradical and thanks for writing. Eds answer is spot on. Medicines do only a small part in the job of allaying mental health issues. Therapy is always the way to go. It confuses me that you were given the best possible expert answer and relisted it for answer quality.

If you break your leg and the doctor orders an x ray and a cast so your leg heals that does not mean you can walk again without physical therapy so why would you expect that you can change behaviors without mental health therapy?

Just wondering?

Best wishes and warm regards XXXXX XXXXX Dr. Ed gave you the best expert answer. cathy

Edited by cathy on 5/6/2010 at 12:14 AM EST