Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

i in the past have suffered from bpd. now just long term

i in the past have suffered from bpd.
now just long term depression. I run four groups. moms, womens group, knitting and the one I have gotten myself in trouble with. ppd and other depression. Everyone thinks there kind of depression is the worst kind. Well I forget that I am pretty much better and out of the wood with my depression. but we are having problems in the group. 2 girls (strangers) meet up. for a coffee. After they left the one girl with borderline personality said she got lost and was going to kill her self. none of us are equipt to handle this sort of issue arrising. No one is trained it is just a peer support group. As Organizer of the group. I went and found all the listings for help that these girls could call instead of phoneing us to let us know they were going to kill themselves. I emailed it to everyone. in the mean time i really dont know how to handle the girl who is wanting to kill herself again today. she seems to need full time care not part time2days a week
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry that you are having these issues - but you are right, you have gotten in over your head. I would strongly encourage you to rethink this idea, as this is the kind of issue that can come up in a self-help situation, and none of you are prepared to handle it (and you shouldn't have to be). Here's the botXXXXX XXXXXne - you are not responsible for this girl. The more you try to help her, the more you are getting yourself involved in something you don't need to be involved in. Tell her she needs to go to the hospital, or call suicide prevention, or whatever you need to tell her. But if you try to help her yourself, it's only going to get worse. You did the right thing by putting together a resource list. NOw follow through. Stop giving out your personal phone numbers, and tell people to contact the resources on the list. Tell the suicidal girl that you will be glad to call the police to come and pick her up and take her to the psychiatric hospital for evaluation. If she says OK - that's great. Then do it. If she says no (which she will), then tell her you can't help her and be honest - she's too much for you to handle. It's OK. Set clear boundaries, and be firm. And seriously reconsider this group, as this is a lot of what you are going to get in terms of issues.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara