Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I worry about whether my 11 year old (almost twelve) year old

I worry about whether my 11 year old (almost twelve) year old daughter needs counseling or meds. She seems very moody. She acts out aggressively toward her ten year old brother. She's starting to talk back to us a lot and doesn't want to do things together as a family anymore.

She is a very compulsive kid. Keeps her room impeccable and works hard in school. Her grades are fine and she seems to have a lot of friends.

She just doesn't seem very happy at home. We've asked her if she wants to see someone to talk about what's on her mind and she says no.

Not sure what to do. Seems like she needs a professional to evaluate her, but I don't know where to start.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

It would be important to notice if these mood changes occur some of the time (she is too young to have her menstrual cycle) but if she has it, that may be something to mention to her OB doc. It may be hormonally triggered. If she does not have her cycle, notice if the behaviors occur as a result of some sort of conflict or when she does not get her way. Then it would be more of a behavioral issue versus emotional. If there is a history of depression in the family, then, an evaluation and therapy would be something to look into. Although, medication may be the last resort since she is so young.

Ask her to let you know what may be some of the things that make her sad, excited, what her short term goals/aspirations are, etc.

You've mentioned that she does not seem "happy at home". This may be something as a result of the family dynamics/changes and her aggression may be due to frustration or for attention.