Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

Hallo. I dont know what to do anymore. I feel really low, loss

Hallo. I dont know what to do anymore. I feel really low, loss of appitite and feel that everyone is against me. In side I feel that I have given up and just cannot get the suicidal thoughts out of my head. I feel like quitting everythng in geraule. I cant even cry anymore and I feel that I have falled everyone. I try and think the opposite, but feel even worse. I also am stressed out to the point that I here voices telling me what to do, and this is cheesing me off no end. I am assuming the voices are stressed related. I have a hugh struggle to go out and buy food fo my children, this has become a difficult chanlage for me to go out and buy shoppping. I sruggle to eat infront of my children and when theyare out etc, I dont eat at all. I am even finding my self not wanting to drink either, I struggle to drink evnough during the day. I feel so drained and tiered I just dont see how I can find the strenth and energy to carry on. I feel really depressed. What do you suggest I could do?

Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

I’m sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad just now.

Part of the problem is that your are probably suffering from mixed anxiety and depression - depression is causing you to feel bad, and the other part is that your negative thinking about your life situation is just adding to that.

Both these things can be dealt with by a combination of proper medication and a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

The first thing you need to do is to see your Doctor – he will give you a full diagnosis and if appropriate, start you on a suitable anti-depressant medication.

Two important issues about this - when you are on medication, you must take it at the correct dose and as prescribed. It is no use missing doses or messing around with the dose.

Secondly, you should know that anti-depressants can take up to 8 weeks from the start of therapy before they begin to show beneficial effects, so it's no use quitting after two weeks.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Make the first step NOW – get an appointment with your Doc, and you can start to get better.

You’ll also find some very good help here:

http://www.depression.com/

Best wishes, NormanM

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi. I Run out of letters to mention about myself having a personality disorder, and was able to do CBT and DBT. Both of these are not helpful right now eventhough I am using distruction as one of the skills I was tought. I will be seeing my GP as soon as I can get an appointment.

Is there any other help I can ask to be feffered for, when I see my GP?

Hope you recieved the money OK.

I really appricate you getting back to me and your help/advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there any other help I can ask to be reffered for, when I see my GP?

Hope you recieved the money OK.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

It is really, really important that you see your Doctor and get a reevaluation and diagnosis. You must make sure you tell him about the voices you hear too, as that may affect what medication will be prescribed for you.

It's equally important to stick rigidly to your medication program, and when that begins to work for you, you'll find that you are better able to use your CBT.

Beat wishes,
NormanM