Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Hello, I am a Iraqi war veteren and since I have switch over

Hello, I am a Iraqi war veteren and since I have switch over to the VA health care system from the military health care system, I have been have a hard time getting my ADHD medicine. I have been off my medicine for 2 weeks and I am a mess. I have been taking adderall for almost 3 years for my ADHD (Depression & Anixiety) and has positivley changed my whole life! The VA is a huge headache that does not seem to care for the patient. Instead, we are just a number. I seriously need my medicine bask ASAP. Thanks for you help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answers. I recommend that you go to a walk-in clinic and give a full history of your experience with the ADHD medications. You're much more likely to get a prescription, and then you'll have the attention span to deal with the VA system. It will be worth the money to have your brain back under your command. You can't keep waiting and fighting with the VA when you're not at your full potential....it'll just keep snowballing. Adderall is the big drug of abuse right now, so everyone is weary of prescribing it, which makes is really difficult for the people who really need it and use it as prescribed for a legitimate problem. Sorry this is happening to you. I'd cut bait and get the help you need and then go back and deal with the VA.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, even though I have medical records and prior prescriptions, they are still worried about their reputation or practice being taken from them because they prescibed meds to a person diagnoised with ADD?

Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

That certainly seems to be the case with quite a few people. Lately I see this same question 5-6/week. Yesterday a lady wrote that her new psychiatrist told her to go to a child psychiatrist for it, and she had the records also. I could be wrong about your individual situation, but I'm hearing your story from people in the private sector almost every day, so I'm not surprised to hear it from the VA.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I accept your answer now, will I still be able to talk to you or...? I would like to ask a few more questions. I do really understand what the risk is for the physician?? Especially if the patient is new with proof of prior prescriptions. Even if there were no proof of prior prescriptions, the risk has got to be almost 0% due to the new patient status. I could understand if a patient that had been seeing the same shrink for several months and the MD started seeing signs of possible drug abuse. But, if the patient is new.....what's the risk....really? Please explain. Is there not something I can use somewhere in the books of law that will benefit my argument? Do you have a private practice? What are your SOPs? By the way, I am going to accept your previous answer but I am afraid we'll get cut off if I accept now and then I will have to pay again. Thanks!

Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome.

We're not to get into a blog format on JA..were supposed to answer the question and if there is a clarification to follow up on, then we can answer that, but otherwise you need to start new threads for each new question. If you want me to answer it, you can put "for Anna" in the front of the question, or you can just put it up and an expert will answer it. We can't have contact with any JA customers outside of this forum. Also, your questions will be available to you after they're answered...look in your profile.

I understand what you're saying, though. I would try to talk to the doctor again and get into the rationale of why they won't follow through with your proven treatment method. The risk for them is not 0%. Once their name is XXXXX XXXXX script for a controlled substance, it goes to the DEA and records are available for all prescriptions written by all docs. Insurance and pharmacy companies compile the data as well.

I don't know of any law that would help you, but I would appeal to their humanity.

My best to you,
Anna