Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

My wife started exhibiting strange behavior during the pregnancy

Customer Question

My wife started exhibiting strange behavior during the pregnancy of our 2nd child. The pregnancy was horrible for her, extreme mood swings, rage, anger and depression. about 6mths after the birth of our son, she hit me for the 1st time, she also started hitting our 1st son and pinching him. Then she had an affair, I wanted to leave but she changed my mind and after a few months a forgave her and tried to "fix" our marriage. We went to a counselor, but after the 2nd visit she said it cost too much, I found a free session through a church, after the pastor admonished her for talking over me, she stopped that too. The hitting got worse, she also was cursing at the children. She refused to seek help at the request of our family and friends, stating nothing was wrong with her. Still the abuse got worse, she would drag our 2y/o by his arm dropping him down saying sit the F down n leave me alone. I took the kids away and got help through sons school. What could be wrong with her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
There are several possibilities ranging from the physical to the psychological ( hormonal problems, neurological problems, depression, personality disorder), and the fact is that the only way she can find out is by having a face to face evaluation with her Doctor.

There really is no point in speculating - the possibilities are too numerous, I'm afraid.