Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am biploar NOS with bouts of Skitzo. I need to find a solution

Customer Question

I am biploar NOS with bouts of Skitzo. I need to find a solution before i end up hurting myself. I have perfect days besides the fact that when i get upset or angry I go into a rage and everyone in my path should watch out. I hate myself for hurting my family and any chance that i get to hurt myself when im angry and people are not watching i take. I will hit myself , punch myself in the head, bash my head against walls until i calm down or cant take it anymore. I then lay down and cry until i cant breath. I have a wonderful family who treats me well. I think most of my anger is brought on by stress. I cannot handle stress at all and i have two kids with my wife. Can you help me please. I love my family and im pushing all of them away..... signed T
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, since you have bipolar symptoms as well as schizophrenia symptoms , so it suggests that you are suffering from Schizo-affective disorder , and it is good to know that , you have been put on the right drug regime , but still your symptoms have not been controlled completely , so i would suggest that you ask your doctor to add lithium to the present drug regime , this lithium drug would stabilize your mood swings which you suffer frequently..

Besides , adding lithium to your drug regime , you shall seek counseling ( psychotherapy ) from a psychologist , ths counseling will help you to cope well with the stresses of life which will always be coming in your way , so through this counseling you will become more tolerant towards the stress and thereby you would not break down so often and the best type psychotherapy for your condition is Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ).

So, to summarize , you need to ask your doctor to add lithium to your drug regime and seek CBT therapy from your psychologist.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service..

Regards..