Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My step daughter is 28 years old. She has a BA degree. She

Customer Question

My step daughter is 28 years old. She has a BA degree. She is 150 pounds over weight, works 3 days a week in a laundry, has no friends and does not seem to be able to carry on a "normal" conversation with people. She uses words that one would need a dictionary to understand, is always making refrence to movies or fantasy figures in books. She is also very addicted to computer online games. She does not follow instruction and only does things the way she was taught if we get mad. She is living at home. We are at are wits end. What is wrong with this girl that she has no desire to do anything with her life? I should add that she feels she is doing something with her life because she is writing a fantasy book.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers.

There is definitely something wrong with her, although with her constellation of symptoms, it could be a few different things. Let me give you a couple links to see if any of them fit, which can then at least start you off in a direction for help.

Schizotypal ... This one takes into account her isolation, fantasy world, odd speech and lack of formation of realistic goals.

Compulsive Overeating

Computer game addiction (in you daughter's case, writing the fantasy book is similar to an alcoholic becoming a bar tender...it's a way to legitimize and rationalize the problem, making it seem to be a 'solution'.)

Underneath any of those, she is probably depressed or has anxiety. I recommend that you read those articles and see if any of them fit, and then speak with your doctor about the path they recommend for evaluation and treatment.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna