Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been perscribed 60 mg of prozac in the AM and 300 mg

I have been perscribed 60 mg of prozac in the AM and 300 mg Of Effexor XR in the PM. I have had a headache for 5 days. Do you think it is from the antidepressents? Is this an unusual dosage?
Both are at high dosages. This greatly increases the risk for serotonin syndrome, of which headaches can be a part. Adding Chantix could contribute as it is blocking nicotinic receptors which occur more places than you would realize. At least quit the Chantix for now. I would consider need for medical attention URGENT, not a trip to ER unless worsens, but would not let it go more than a day or two and do call 911 if it get s unbearable. On the small chance it is Serotonin Syndrome, it can be dangerous. Please err on side of caution here. 60 of Prozac is OK - 300 effexor OK. Together worries me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Should I call the doctor that perscribed the antidepressents or call my regular internest

If prescriber on antidepressant was psychiatrist call him/her. Mixing high dosages is sometimes done by experts, but your HA concern me (especially if quit chantix a while back). Internist may not be too sure what to do. Usually serotonin syndrome is a clear (no consult needed) emergency. Still, the headaches must be miserable. Take care.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you