Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

my son is 18 was diagnosed w/ ptsd among other things he has

my son is 18 was diagnosed w/ ptsd among other things he has bipolar tendencies, stemming from the death of his 7 year old brother 10 myears ago. He is now only taking remeron at night which helps him sleep. He will not take his Concerta as he feels that it mellows him out too much and he doesn't want to eat. I notice that when he was taking his concerta he was much more level headed and made better decisions. He has been out of school almost a year and has no motivation to get a real job, he is being sucked into these get rich quick schemes thus costing us a lot of money. He recently was caught stealing 800.00 dollars from our account and he really didn't have much remorse he felt bad but not bad enough to do something about it. He just does not have realistic ideas about what it takes to make it in life. when he was in treatment I was never actually told what his diagnosis wasbut I know he is not your average kid just not "normal".
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers. I agree with you that your son needs to get back into treatment. He's at a pivotal age right now and can't be wasting his time with these non-productive schemes. If he doesn't like the Concerta, maybe he can try another med for ADD. Concerta works for some but not others.

You can always call his doctor and find out what his diagnosis was. It may be different now, but at least you'll be able to find out information and know where you stand.

The stealing without remorse concerns me - and that is a large amount of money.

No matter what the cause of his problems, he is still accountable for his recovery from them at age 18. Bad things happen to good people, but still, we all have to find a way to live in the future instead of the past. He needs help pushing out of the numbness of the past and into his own future.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.