Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

hi, are you there

hi, are you there?

Welcome to Just Answers.

Hello. We don't have live chat on Just Answers, but if you post your question, one of our experts will answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I live in Miami, Florida and have been in therappy for years for eating disorders, substance abuse, and within the last 9 months, i have started to cut myself.

Self injury is not really my doctors specialties. I have been trying to find a psychiatrist who could help me, but im not having a lot of luck.

Also, when it comes to cutting, is it super confidential? My therapist is starting to feel uncomfortable not telling my husband, or my primary doctor.

My husband said he would baker act me if he saw me cutting again. I keep it pretty well hidden.

I was just wondering what the basics or laws were about this area.

Thank you

They can have you held for 72 hours if you're an immediate threat to yourself, but cutting can go either way, depending on the examiner. Some docs see it as a coping mechanism that can actually prevent suicide, some see it as 'suicide-lite'.

Your therapist has a duty to warn, of course, so she's got her license (and livelihood) at stake in the issue to balance out the HIPPA laws and your therapeutic relationship. These are the things everyone is going to consider along with your history, current state of mind and the extent of the damage.

If you find a psychiatrist who deals with Borderline Personality Disorders, they'll be more familiar and comfortable with cutting issues. Addictionologists also will have experience. I would try that avenue. If you're near a teaching hospital, they're likely to have more specialists available for you to interview.

My best to you,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i appreciate you writing back so promptly.

i did go to detox for opiate addiction about 9 months ago. However, do to chronic pain and jaw surgery, i am back on them.

I do use the cutting as a way to cope with MAJOR stress, whatever that may be.

I actually started doing it when i got out of detox and i started EMDR therapy with my therapist. However, i guess it was too intense, i dont know. My husband and i got into a HUGE arguement after my EMDR and left for the day. So i was alone, and i couldnt starve myself fast enough, nor take medication, so, i decided to try cutting and boy did it work. Too good.

Like i said, i do live in Miami and im currently looking for a psychiatrist to assist me with medication and also work with my psychologist. My current doctor does not think i have borderline personality disorder but for sure OCD.

Anyway, i wasnt sure if my husband could actually baker act me or not for cutting. Its not deep enough that i need stitches, but, with the current substance abuse plus the cutting i wasnt really sure. If you have an answer to the baker acting that would be great. I know you kinda already answered it, but i gave u a little more info. This will be my last question.

Again, thank you for your time.

You're welcome. With your situation, I don't think he could make it stick. It's almost unheard of for them to do it for addiction, and surface cutting isn't a danger to your life. I wouldn't certify you on those grounds, and I doubt others would either.

Take care!