Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

How will ECT doc decide how many rounds of ECT I need Ive

How will ECT doc decide how many rounds of ECT I need? I've done two and am responding better each time. I'm a 35 yr old single female, who has suffered major depression since i was atleast 5 yrs old. NO trauma, abuse, etc... just a lot of major depression in my genes! ECT has, so far, been a lifesaver!

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, ECT is the most effective treatment for major depression , more so when the depression becomes treatment resistant , with no drug lasting long .. So, i would support the use of ECT in your case , and i am quite sure that ECT would get you out of depression completely..

Now , coming to your question , well there are no fixed number of rounds that are used in depressed patients , the number of ECT rounds vary from person to person and depend upon the improvement of the patient's condition..

So, i believe your doctor will decide on the number of ECT rounds that you need after seeing if your depression has remmitted completely , so just hang on there and comply with your doctor , as he is doing a fine job as he has taken you out of depression to some extent , and so you shall trust his judgment and follow his advise..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please pres the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.