Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Why would you think none of the anti-psychotic meds seem to

Why would you think none of the anti-psychotic meds seem to be helping? They said she is schizophrenic. She is on 9 Different meds right now, can all those somehow compound allowing the meds to not work properly? I have a list of them that she is on if it will help u. Only two of the 9 are anti-psychotic drugs. I know this is difficult cause you can't examine her. Any help you can give me would be greatly helpful.

She is on Zyprexa and Geodon right now. Then HE has her on Ambein, Cogentin, another sleeping aid, a blood pressure pill, a tranquilizer, and two more. Thing is Doctor is only giving them 2-3 days at a time before switching the anti-psychotic drug. I read most take 4-6 weeks to take

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i believe the patient is being subjected to a wrong treatment regime ,as you have rightly pointed out that the anti psychotics require atleast 3 - 4 weeks to reach peak levels in the body , and start effecting at their full potency ..So, if the doctor is changing the anti psychotics every 2-3 days , then it means he is unaware of the way he should handle anti psychotics for effective treatment of schizophrenia..

So, i would suggest that you change her doctor , as this kind of frequent drug changes will make her condition deteriorate further ..Also, i would suggest that she should be placed on 1 anti psychotic out of the two that she is currently on , either geodon or zyprexa as both of them are atypical anti psychotic drugs , which need not be given together as they make cause side effects such as weight gain , diabetes , increased blood choloesterol and high blood pressure..

If at all there is need to add one another anti psychotic drug , then it has to be abilify.. so i would suggest two things -- one is to change her doctor and secondly is to put her on a combination of geodon or zyprexa and abilify and continue on these drugs for atleast 6- 8 months , so kindly discuss this with the new doctor , it would be better if she consults a psychiatrist who is a specialist in such cases and knows the drugs very well..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.