Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Why can my daughter not get help She is 52 years old, She

Customer Question

Why can my daughter not get help? She is 52 years old, She was in a car wreck at 17,she has brain damage,she cant remember things that happend 5 minutes ago. We have a lawyer trying to get her help, she saw a chryies and he said she should not be left along becouse of her memory. But she does live along becouse she tryes to be like other people. my husband and i are 73 years old and both in bad health but we pay her bills and try to send her money,and it is taking away thangs we need, I am not complaining but it hurts us.She does get food stamps,but she needs finical help. She cant hold a job becouse of her short memory and cant rember what she is suppose to do. please try and hel us.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers. She should be able to get disability benefits, which would give her money to live on and medical aid. You can go to this government website to apply for her aid.

She'll need to get information from a doctor, and it takes a bit of time to get it all approved, but she needs to start the process. Don't be alarmed if they deny it on the first claim - it seems to be the normal thing to do.

My best to you,