Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been told by two doctors that I have severe BiPolar

Customer Question

I have been told by two doctors that I have severe BiPolar I disorder and that I am med resistant. I'm currently on 1350mg of Lithium, 50mg Lamictal, 1mg risperdal, 1mg Clonopin as needed, 10mg of Ambien. My therapist also gave me an Axis II diagnosis of Borderline Personality. My question is, does BiPolar disorder get better over time and with age? I've been hospitilized over a dozen times for mania or depression. Recently a month ago for 10days for first, a manic episode, and then a depressive episode. My doctors are very concerned about my husband and I wanting to have a baby. Is that a bad idea with my mood disorder? They are worried about sleep deprevation etc.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Baby is bad idea. First you would be unlikely to get of medications to make it through pregnancy. Secondly, these are genetic disorders, and not sure you want to pass them on. You danger for relapse during or after pregnancy is extremely high and you both could be harmed. Finally, most pass through to breast milk, so breast feeding is out of the question. Way too much risk.