Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Cant sleep, depressed with bipolar. Started medications last

Customer Question

Can't sleep, depressed with bipolar. Started medications last year (sodium valproate and mirtazapine amongst others) but stopped taking them after a few weeks as I didn't feel they were helping me and also because I have a strong reluctance to take any un-natural medicines. I don't even like to ingest aspirin. I came out of that period of depression and hoped that it was a one-off but it's back again and for the last 2 months I have had trouble coping with normal life. I have also experienced highs when I was over-confident. I realise now that this has probably been happening to a certain degree for years. My local health food stockist told me that bipolar is due to lack of minerals and so I've been taking a multi-mineral solution for the last few days. Do you think a Naturopath could help me? I'm particularly anxious to get some sleep at night - more than the 2 hours I seem to be getting. My husband is writing this for me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 6 years ago.
Hello Mam,

Bipolar illness is a chronic illness with multiple exacerbation and remission if left untreated and for its treatment you require medicines such as Mood stabilizers. I don't think, there is any OTC mineral product available which can treat Bipolar Illness or any naturopath can help you in this regard.

I would suggest you to go through the link given below to find out about the possible options and what if you don't take medicines?

Medications for mania

In my view, you should consult a psychiatrist and start the treatment as soon as possible.

Please feel free to ask any related query.

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer is standardmedical response. I was hoping for a more sympathetic understanding, in particular the possibilities of alternative therapies