Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

My daughter is 23 and lives at home. She graduated last spring

My daughter is 23 and lives at home. She graduated last spring and has not been able to find the perfect job within her major. Her boyfriend broke up with her 5 months ago and she has been devastated. She can't get over it and move on. She is on 40 grams of Lexapro and has seen a counselor. She stop going because all the therapist wanted to talk about was her ex-boy friend. I am worried about her as I feel she is in deep depression. How can I help her? My husband and I are at wits end. I would appreciate any strategies you can give me or advice as to where we should take her. I know with her age and HIPA law it is a little more challenging. Thanks so much for your input.

Sharen DeRose
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers.

First, if she's been on the Lexapro for a couple months and you haven't seen any improvement in her depression symptoms, then it's probably time to try another medication. Sometimes it can take 3-4 different trials before the right one and dose is found, so I would deal with that first. Let me give you a link on depression, so you can be sure to know what the signs that the doctor is looking for are.

Second, I would ask if she wants to find another counselor, or maybe a job search coach (you can find these online). This is a very hard time for folks to come out of college and try to find a job, and it's especially disheartening when you're a new grad and are finally ready to go for it. Her boyfriend breaking up probably really pulled the rug out and it's all come together. The trick to getting out is to look at each little part of it and work on what you can. It eventually builds up into bigger successes.

With HIPA, she can sign approval for you to speak with any health care provider, and I would ask for this if she goes to another counselor, or to the doctor. Try to go with her and see what they say, and express your observations. It always helps to have another set of eyes on the situation.

Along with medication and counseling, I recommend that you introduce her to CBT techniques....they're proven to help. Here is a site for that: CBT

There are also online support groups/blogs for family members of depressed people. here is an example of one.

This should give you a start, with information and support, all of you should be able to make some progress out of the mire.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.