Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I am not good in relationships. I feel that going to a psychiatrist

I am not good in relationships. I feel that going to a psychiatrist that that is basically what you are doing, establishing a relationship. It scares me to death. How do you start with 50 plus years of your life?

Welcome to Just Answers. It's always scary going to a counselor...I don't know if there is anything in the world that makes it easier. Trying them out is just nerve wracking and uncomfortable. It just is. Even for me! But it's all part of it. When a counselor is listening to you, they're looking at a million things at once and trying to make sense of it all. Some are better at this than others, and then some are just horrible.

My advice is to just go and remember that you're interviewing the counselor....you're trying them on for size as much as they are for you. Just be yourself and give the info they ask about, and be aware of how your gut reacts to them. It's scary, but you can do it. Try not to think about it too much and then 'bring the body - the mind will follow'. You only have to go to the first session with each one once...maybe this next guy will be a better professional....I hope so.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna