Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I have a ten year old son that often gets emtional or anxious.

I have a ten year old son that often gets emtional or anxious. A few examples. He is still afraid to sleep in his own bed alone. He is an extreemly gifted athlete. He started playing baseball when he was four. We never push him to play and always says that he wants to play. Every year he has been the star player , but before each game or during the game he will cry and say he can't play because some thing hurts. There have been a few times when he got mad and cried and would sits for an hour or long just staring out the window. He has ADHD and is taking methylphenidate. We adpoted him at birth. We know that the birth mother has an " emotional problem" and the birth father has ADD. My wife stays at home and I work only forty hours a week. We are always together as a family. He is very well loved and supported.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers.

Children can have full blown anxiety disorders at his age, so this is something to consider having him evaluated for. Anxiety is caused by a glitch in the 'fight or flight' center of the people with clinical anxiety, it's on a very sensitive trigger and then gets stuck in the 'on' position. The medication he's on for his ADHD can also contribute to anxiety as a side effect in some children, so you've got a couple things that may be combining to give him this problem. I recommend that you speak with his pediatrician about the anxiety and what can be done to help alleviate it, and then to check out the Worrywise website to help him learn coping skills that will help him feel more in control. Anxiety is very painful for people of any age, and can disrupt lives if it isn't addressed.

It sounds like you've created a very safe and consistent home life for him....this will serve him very well as he faces this problem.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.