Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

How can I cope with crippling loneliness that leaves me feeling

How can I cope with crippling loneliness that leaves me feeling emotionall unstable, and hopeless for the future, meeting new friends doesnt really help and I am terrified of being left on my own. Im not strong enough to get into a relationship with someone as it terrifies me and Im scared that they will see my depression, is there hope?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answers.

First, I would talk with your doctor about your symptoms to make sure your meds don't need to be adjusted. With treatment, you shouldn't be feeling so anxious about meeting people and the loneliness.

Then, I would take it slowly and start to meet people online. Second Life is a place that has brought much peace and social connection between people who are shy, disabled, agoraphobic, or simply have transportation issues. You make an avatar representing yourself and you can go to classes, concerts, shopping, and meet people....all without ever having to see anyone face to face. It lets you set the pace and have complete control.

Chat rooms and online groups serve the same purpose. You can go to game sites and play a game of scrabble online with someone. Once you get your wheels greased, you'll feel stronger about getting out and connecting with others in the real world.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.