Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Am 57 male. Was on 2mg Ativan, 300mg Wellbutrin and 50mg Trazonone

Am 57 male. Was on 2mg Ativan, 300mg Wellbutrin and 50mg Trazonone to sleep. Lost job, little money, etc. Got 2 Docs and now take 4mg Ativan, 1 - 1.5 Ambien (no Trazodone) to sleep, same Wellbutrin and 60mg Cymbalta for about the last 14 months. That is correct - 4mg Ativan for 14 months.

Want to taper back to at least where I was (2 Ativan and 1 Ambien) and then goe to zero when bankruptcy and home sale is over. How do we do this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

There are two issues here. Ambien can be cut down easily by using a pill cutter and dividing the pill in 4ths so that you are taking 1.75 the first week, 1.50 the next week , 1,25 the next week and by the 4th week, after a month you can be down to 1 ambien per evening. Ativan is a different story. I assume you are talking about going from 4 mgs to 2 mgs. Since tapering to quickly will make you feel terrible and put you at risk for seizure this should be done under a doctors supervision. Since ativan comes in a generic form-lorazepam that should save money. It comes in .5, 1 and 2 milligram sizes. The closest that you can get to cutting down by 5% per week the more comfortable you will be. Using a pill cutter and cutting 1/4 of a 4 mg or 1/8 of 2mgs tab per week is the closest you can get. In 8 weeks you can be done two 2 mgs. Again, I would confer with your physician. Best wishes. PS there is also a generic fo ambien called Zolpiderm. Best wishes.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 5/1/2010 at 8:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry it took me a while to write back. When I saw my psych MD last week he asked how many mg Ativan I took the day before. Truthfully, I answered 4mg. He then put me on 3mg for 7 days then 2mg thereafter. Afterwards I called him back to make sure he was aware that I was on 4mg Ativan for 14 months not just 4mgs for a few months. His answer, through the nurse remained the same. He also said I could increamse the Ambien to 1.5mg.

Does this make sense to you. Please help.