Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Its 5 months since my beloved dog passed away, and I am grieving

It's 5 months since my beloved dog passed away, and I am grieving & crying as if it happened yesterday. I cannot get over his death. My dog, Primo, a 100 lb. boxer, was my heart, my soul, my life. I raised him from birth till the day he died at 13. I got Primo in 1996, after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Primo kept me alive with his unconditional love for me.Throughout my chemo, & surgeries, Primo was beside me all the way. I loved him so much. We were together for 13 years 24/7. Primo died suddenly, never ever sick, until the last 3 days of his life.Took him to Vet specialist in NYC, told me he had about a week to live, he had heart disease and old age had kicked in.Took Primo home, I was in dis-belief. Primo went downhill & within 3 days the most saddest thing in my life happened; Primo died on the morning of my 50th Birthday.He died as I held him, his eyes on me. I Can't get this day out of my mind. What can I do to make my pain go away? It hurts so much.I can't exist w/o him. I miss him so much and I am in a deep depression. Is this normal. How can I get through this ?
I lost my lab after 13 years, 2 years ago. I still cry. I have seen many patients with similar reactions. Often they have more grief for their pet than family that have died. I get it. I think the amount of grief surprises them, but who else gives you unconditional love. Actually, I have 2 dogs laying in bed with me know - it took over a year before I could adopt them after losing mine. I would go to counseling for grief. Also, I would ask doctor about antidepressants. Sometimes prolonged grief does biologically turn into major depression. To me, it was like having a child die. You are not alone, and I think it is very typical, but that doesn't mean you don't need some help to get through it.
I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX your loss.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your comforting answer. I totally agree with you when you say its like losing a child. Question: I still have Primo's portaits of me & him throughout my house, pictures all over, his collars, leashes, toys, etc. I can't seem to part with anything connected to Primo. But seeing all the pics, etc. makes me so sad and can't stop the sadness. Should I put everything out of site or leave everything until my pain diminishes? Would anti- depressents really help me? Which do you recommend? I've lost my desire to do anything.
Without going into physiology, yes antidepressants will help some. Grief takes time. I would try Celexa if anxious, Pristiq if too inactive. We still have pictures of Shaquille (our black lab) everywhere. we have his toys, which our new babies play with, etc. If reminds us of him, and we still cry, but it gets better with time. Whether or not to put stuff away is a matter of what helps with grief. People grieve differently (e.g. I won't go to funerals but I insisted I be the one to administer the euthanasia because like you Shaq save my life more than once when I was ill). Just know Primo would want you to feel good, and he is better off not being in pain. We did not adopt new pups until we felt like Shaq sent them to us.graphic

My Shaquille.
Be strong for Primo.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Shaquille was a beauty... Thank you again. I'm attaching a photo of me & Primo. You are right, Primo would want me to be strong.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure you recieved my picture.. heres another.graphic
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't get it first time. He looks so happy and loving. Ralph also sends his condolences. It was too close to home for him to answer. A lot of his have been there and understand.