Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

My son is five and will only eat certain foods, now he will

My son is five and will only eat certain foods, now he will only eat what I cook (fresh) will not sit at table in restaurant - gets upset with smell of food, will only eat what he eats in his own home? What is this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for visiting JA.

I think the first thing you should know is that he will not starve himself into illness, and secondly that it is not worth getting into fights over.

What you are experiencing is a worriesome but very common phase which many children go through inone way or another.

From a psychological standpoint this is seen variously as a means of beginning to exercise real choice, as ameans of asserting independence or as an anxiety based call for attention.

Make sure that you check his weight and height regularly, and so long as it stays within acceptable limits, he'll be doing fine. You can do that by using the Body Mass Index Calculator you will find here:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_bmi_calc.htm

There is also some excellent help here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources/nibbles/handling_choosy.pdf

Don't try to force him, take it calm;ly, and let him pass through this phase, unless it continues over a period of more than 6 weeks, in which case, he would best be seen by a pediatric psychiatrist.

Best wishes,
NormanM