Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I am on 40 mg citalopram and 100mg clomipramine. I am experiencing

Customer Question

I am on 40 mg citalopram and 100mg clomipramine. I am experiencing terrible abdominal bloating and wind which i have had since being on these drugs - both started at roughly the same time. I look as though i am 5 months pregnant after eating a meal and it's very uncomfortable. Which of these drugs do you think is most likely to be causing these effects? And what would you recommend as an alternative? I have been on these drugs for about 2 years and the digestive/abdominal problems seem to be getting worse- although the depression is better, i cant stand these side effects.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 6 years ago.

Although both of these drugs may cause the side effects you are reporting (Citalopram being an SSRI more likely) but it is usually noticed that most of these side effects are transient and go away with time.

You are taking these medicines since last 2 years so I doubt that what you are now having is a side effect and a detailed Gastrointestinal tract examination may be more helpful in finding out the exact cause.

If indeed, these are side effects of the two drugs you are taking, one possible option in my view is to replace the Clomipramine with another antidepressant Mirtazapine which may counteract the gastrointestinal side effects of Citalopram and you may consult your doctor about this possible option.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.